Take a snapshot of your current vROPs VM before running the upgrade
The upgrade assessment tool (APUAT) generates 2 type of reports:
- First report is relating to Metric reductions, usage of reduced metrics in custom content and proposed workaround.
- The second report is doing pre-upgrade system checks and returning failures, if there are Upgrade blocking system issues.
Download upgrade assessment tool vRealize Operations X.XX – Upgrade Assessment Tool (Filename:APUAT-XXXX.pak)
- launch a browser. Go to
https://master-node-FQDN-or-IP-address/admin, where the address is the master node Administrator interface.
- Click Software Update in the left panel.
- Click Install a Software Update in the main panel.
- Follow the steps in the wizard to locate and install your PAK file. Check Install the PAK file even if it is already installed.
- Install the Upgrade Assessment Tool.
- Wait for the software update to complete.
- Access to Pre-upgrade assessment report – steps as below:
- Navigate to the Support > Support Bundles tab.
- Download the light support bundle that was generated from the installation of the Upgrade Assessment Tool.
- In the downloaded support bundle, open the cluster_timestamp_nodeaddress/nodeaddress_timestamp_nodeaddress/apuat-data/report/index.html file.
- A list of all potentially impacted user content, if any , will be displayed in the Impacted Components Summary page.
- In the tab of “System Validation Checks”, you will find the report of system validation checks for upgrade and recommendations (if any).
If you have a large vROps cluster with more than 4 nodes, speed up by pre-copying upgrade files to all nodes. Follow steps in KB 2127895
If possible, remove all impacted Management Packs, if any, prior to initiating the upgrade.
Take a snapshot.
- Login to vROps \Admin UI.
Take the cluster offline. Shut down all nodes in this sequence: Remote Collectors, Data nodes , Replica Node and Master Node. Now you know why I prefer to keep the deployment simple
- Login to vCenter.
Take snapshot of all the nodes.
- Power on vROps nodes in the sequence starting Master Node, Replica Node, Data Nodes and Remote Collectors.
- Login to vROps \Admin UI
- Take the cluster offline, if it comes online after powering ON. This reduces the time taken for upgrade
- Initiate vROps In-place upgrade
- Once the upgrade is completed, verify functionality. If all functionality is reported correctly, take the cluster offline, shutdown nodes and delete the VM snapshots.
- Once snapshots are removed, power on the nodes in sequence
- Once all nodes are powered on, bring the vROps cluster Online.
- Test solutions
- Test SRM