Today, we will be focusing on expanding your Aria Operations (vROps) installation by adding a data node to your existing cluster. The vROps cluster can be scaled out by adding data nodes, which helps to improve performance and resilience. In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the entire process, ensuring you can successfully add a data node to your vROps cluster.
Before we begin, make sure you have the following:
- An existing vROps installation with at least one master node and one data node.
- Access to the vROps admin interface.
- The vROps installation file (OVA) is for the same version as your existing installation. In my example, it will be 8.6.4
Step 1: Download the vROps OVA
First, download the vROps OVA file for the same version as your existing installation from the VMware website. Ensure you have the correct version to avoid compatibility issues.
- Log in to the customer connect portal: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/
- Go to the product tile and search for vRealize operations
- Select your version and download
Step 2: Deploy the OVA in vSphere
- Log in to your vSphere Web Client and navigate to the desired location for your new data node.
- Right-click the target location, and select ‘Deploy OVF Template’.
- Choose the downloaded vROps OVA file and click ‘Next’.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, making sure to configure the appropriate network settings, datastore, and other customization options.
- Once the deployment is complete, power on the new data node VM.
Step 3: Add the New Data Node to the vROps Cluster
- Log in to the vROps admin interface using your master node’s IP address or FQDN followed by “/admin” (e.g., https://your-vrops-master-node.example.com/admin).
- Navigate to the ‘Administration’ tab and click on ‘Nodes’.
- Generate a passphrase to authenticate a new node, by clicking on the icon of the ID card, and write down the passphrase.
- Click on the ‘+’ button to add a new node.
- Enter the new data node’s FQDN and IP address
- Click Save to confirm and then click ‘Next’ to add the new data node to your vROps cluster.
Step 4: Monitor the Data Node Addition Process
Adding a data node to the vROps cluster may take some time, as data is redistributed across the nodes. You can monitor the progress in the vROps admin interface by navigating to the ‘Nodes’ section under the ‘Administration’ tab. The new data node’s status should eventually change to ‘Online’, indicating that the addition process is complete.
Should this method not work, let’s try this approach instead:
- Find the node VM in the cluster where you deployed the OVA.
- Launch the web console and note the IP address.
- Open a new browser window and enter the IP address. If you encounter a certificate error, click “Advanced” and proceed.
- You should now see the installation screen. Select “EXPAND AN EXISTING INSTALLATION”
- Follow the Wizard
- Provide node settings, select node type, provide master node, and click
- Accept certificate
- Use administrator credentials or Pass-phrase.
- Click FINISH and wait.
- Sometimes you need to Force the installation by clicking FINISH ADDING NEW NODE
Congratulations, you have successfully added a data node to your vROps installation! This expansion will improve your vROps cluster’s performance, scalability, and resilience. Keep in mind that it’s essential to monitor your vROps environment regularly and adjust the cluster size as needed to ensure optimal performance.
I hope this step-by-step guide was helpful. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out in the comments section below. Happy monitoring!
🔥Subscribe to the channel: https://bit.ly/3vY16CT🔥
🚨Read my blog: https://angrysysops.com/
🛒 VMware EMEA store: https://imp.i263671.net/c/3505578/814646/11461
🛒 VMware US store: https://imp.i263671.net/c/3505578/814642/11461
🛒 VMware APAC store: https://imp.i263671.net/c/3505578/814645/11461